I would not have gotten through my family’s Thanksgiving party successfully this year if it weren’t for all the pre-planning I did. At our last workshop “Surviving the Holidays” we had everyone fill out a few worksheets clearly stating their goals, what foods they want to stay away from, what they’re giving themselves permission to have, and how they are going to achieve this. I am so thankful I filled one out because it helped me visualize all the things I wanted to avoid (rice, rolls, sugared cranberries, wine, pie), and what I needed to bring to make that happen (mashed cauliflower, a veggie tray, and an ICE drink).
If you want to stay true to your health goals this year, I urge you to write these things down as well. Be honest with yourself and where you’re at with your health goals. Are you at your goal weight and simply want to maintain through the holidays? Or, are you on protocol, losing weight every week, and want to keep going strong with no deviations? Whatever the case may be, dig deep and write it all out. Below are 8 steps you can take to help you make the best choices at any holiday gathering.
1. Bring your own food.
2. Eat breakfast and lunch before going out to a dinner party.
3. Warm liquids are very satiating.
Start the night by sipping on a hot soup or beverage. This will help your body feel satisfied sooner and ultimately avoid overeating.
4. Don’t stand or sit right next to the munchies: Chex mix, chocolates, pretzels, crackers etc.
When all of that is in arms reach, it makes it harder to stay away. Mingle further away from that table, hold a water, chat with friends and family, and simply wait for the main meal. Your stomach will thank you later.
5. At mealtime, focus on filling half of your plate with non-starchy vegetables such as leafy greens, roasted asparagus, green beans, or mashed cauliflower.
6. Concentrate on your meal while you’re eating.
7. When you’ve finished your meal, cleanse your palate by eating a refreshing Ice Chip or a piece of approved sugar-free gum (aspartame-free like Pür).
When everyone else is eating a sugar-laden dessert, pull out your favorite Ideal Product to stay on track. If you’re in maintenance, hopefully you made some fat bombs or a low carb dessert that you can enjoy- guilt free!
8. Be proud!